About the Principal Attorney
Richard Klar has over 30 years of experience in patent application matters including writing applications and handling their subsequent patent prosecution. This includes both domestic and foreign patent applications and prosecution. Mr. Klar has successfully argued before U.S. Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) (formerly known as the U.S. Patent Board of Appeals and Interferences). In addition, Mr. Klar's experience includes:
writing appeal briefs and reply briefs
patent interference practice
He has successfully represented clients at hearings before the PTAB. He provides patentability searches and opinions, infringement searches and opinions and validity searches and opinions. He conducts interviews with patent examiners. In addition, he has litigated intellectual property law actions successfully in various federal district courts throughout the U.S.A., including before the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and at the International Trade Commission (“ITC”). Mr. Klar has also litigated in State Courts.
Richard B. Klar has prepared numerous trademark applications and handled the subsequent prosecution (domestic and foreign), and has filed copyright applications.
• New York State Bar
• U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
• U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York (E.D.N.Y.)
• U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York (S.D.N.Y.)
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
• United States Supreme Court
• New York Law School, J.D.
• City College of New York, B.E.E
• Author The United States Supreme Court’s Decision in eBay v. MERCEXCHANGE: How Irreparable The Injury to Patent Injunctions? 14 Widener L. Rev. 239 (2008)
• Quoted and referenced in book “You & Your Big Ideas” By Brian Fried (Wing Span Press 2008). New York | New Jersey | Washington, D.C.
• Author eBay Inc. v. MERCEXCHANGE, L. L. C.: The Right To Exclude Under U.S. Patent Law and Public Interest, 27 Whittier L.Rev. 985 (2006) Reprinted in October 2006 issue of the Journal of the Patent and Trademark Office Society Vol. 88, No. 10
• Co-author - United States Patent Law & Practice, Digest of Intellectual Property Laws of the World 1991 -1994, Oceana Publications. Inc. Contributing Co-author: multi-volume treatise, updated semi-annually on United States Patent Practice and Procedure.
• Author- Steering Clear of Infringement Disputes, SELLING CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS, January 1997.
• Co-author - Understand the Importance of Protecting Ideas in the Toy Industry, Playthings, Vol. 84, No. 2, February 1986. Teaching & Lecturing
• New York Institute of Technology –NYIT Club Law Club May 12, 2014 Lecture on Intellectual Property law to Business School students.
• New York Institute of Technology –NYIT Club Law Club May 12, 2014 lectured on Sports Law - Fall 2015
• Micle Marino Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Current Faculty Member, From March 2001 to present (most recently Fall 2014) , lecturing on Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law to newly admitted attorneys.
• Guest speaker on Got Invention Radio on December 9, 2009 show discussing Patent,Trademark and Copyright law. (internet radio show) (http://www.gotinvention.com/ pastshows.php).
• Suffolk County Inventors & Entrepreneurs Club Lecture on Patent, Trademark and Copyright Considerations for Inventors and Entrepreneurs“ (July 2008)
• N.Y. Society of Professional Inventors , SUNY Farmingdale, lecture on “Patent Considerations For 21st Century Technologies” (September 2007)
• Program Chair and Moderator, Europe 1992, Harmonization and its Impact on Trademark Law, New York County Lawyers Association, April 1992.
• Program Chair, Moderator and Lecturer, What You Should Know About Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law, Fall 1991, New York County Lawyers and Association.
• Lecturer and Adjunct Faculty Member, Computer Technology and the Law, New York University, 1983-1984.
• Lecturer, Protecting your Rights in the Toy Industry, February 1986 at American International Toy Fair.
• Lecturer, Biotechnology and the Law, I.E.E.E., at Rockefeller University, Fall 1985.